How to live like a lady, Part 1


No, I am not gonna start giving tips on how to live like a lady. However, I am reading a book titled that by Candance Simpson-Giles. You may wonder why.

To start, I never had any type of etiquette training. In Argentina, growing up in lower middle class and around people that like to be "real", you don't really need it. I don't even know if really rich people behave much different than me and my family and friends.

But when I came to the US I noticed that certain things are done differently, and even though I had the attitude of: "I'm like this, love it or leave it", in the end I want to belong and be accepted and like we all know "In Rome, play like the Romans" (or something of that sort). My husband has been filling me in some etiquette and cultural aspects, but I thought it was about time I read a book on etiquette.

I must say, there are good and bad things about this book. It has interesting points, but it also gives some vague advice.


"A lady doesn't ask married couples when they're getting married. Likewise, she doesn't ask married couples when they're having children"

This one was a total awakening. I can see now, after almost 5 years in the US, why you wouldn't want to bring up sensitive issues among people you just met, or not just met. Maybe the guy has commitment issues, maybe she can't get pregnant. Why make someone feel uncomfortable?

But five years ago, I wouldn't have had any shame in asking someone this. And I think any Argentine, over there, wouldn't either. The thing is, a lot of Argentinians would just say: "we're having problems getting pregnant" and that's it.

This is one of the vague examples:

"A lady knows how to prioritize her life in order to make herself available to family, friends, career, and other important considerations in life".

OOOK, it's nice to know what a lady knows, but, how can I make it happen? No tips on that so far.


Here are some more, that I found interesting:

"If a lady must excuse herself from the dinner table, she simply says 'Excuse me'. NO further explanation is necessary".
I always say: I need to pee really bad. LOL

"A lady uses her turn signals" Of course!!

I hope you like my lady-like pictures of me a during my first year in the US. We went with Lola and Marco, to Birds, a place in Los Feliz (near Hollywood) that we loved.

What do you think? Do you care for etiquette and lady-like rules?

You can follow me on facebook, here!

8 comments:

Christina said...

LOL! I need to read this book!
Ha ha! Good post :)

Danielle Celeste Couture said...

Hi Lula, I will do a post next week with some of my favorite etiquette books and quotes. Oh and it is my husband who takes my bloggy piccys most of the time.

Lula said...

Thank you Christina! I wouldn't but this one, is too short and consice and doesn't give you all the answers you need. I am reading another one now, How to live like a lady, I will let you know what I think!

You can also read Danielle's blog, she will be posting some interesting stuff too on that subject!

Danielle: your hubby is such a good one! My husband takes my pictures too! LOL what did they get themselves into right!? I will soon ask him to film me while cooking, I will he will not like that one.

Janette said...

Lula! HIII! Just wanted to say thanks for your sweet comments on my blog! You're great! And I'm loving this post... Where did you get this book, because I've never heard of these rules before! I may need to read it! But seriously, if I had a penny for every time I've been asked the "When are you having kids?" question, I would be RICCCHHHH! TOTALLY! But I don't mind it when people ask. I just say it's not the Lord's will at the moment. But anyway.. Was reading your profile and some how I missed that you're Argentinian. That is super cool! My bro in law is from Mar De Plata.... I think that's what it's called... Do you know it?

Janette the Jongleur

Michele said...

I must pick up this great read! Loved your post, Lula - especially using your turn signals! ;)

xoxo michele

Mum said...

Its a really good post. So funny too! Im proud of you. I love you so much and Im so glad to see a lot of changes and new things you are learning! Good of you!

Miki's scrapbook said...

Hi, Lula!

I can totally relate to what you said here! ;) This was a fun post! ;D

And, hey, thank you SO much for the tips on how to find a job. It's only been a week since I started looking for a job and nothing has come up yet :( ... I know it's not that much time, but it feels like a decade. I really need to get ready to get my driving license ...

Hope you're having a fab week! ;D

Miki.

Lauren said...

A lady uses her turn signals. Ha! I think there are a lot of people who aren't even from a different culture (like my sister) who could take a note on some of these etiquette tips too!