4 classic Argentine meals.

I recently made a list of a lot of meals that I used to eat a lot when I lived in Argentina with my parents. Little background: I was born and raised in Buenos Aires, and lived with my parents until I was 23, age when I emigrated to the US. For kids who are born in Buenos Aires, there are a lot of college options close by, so we don't need to move out to attend college. And a lot of us take full time classes and work part time or full time (I did both in different years).




At 23 I moved to the US alone, so I lived with families and roomates. Because it took me a long time to get accostumed to some things, like produce, grocery shopping -what is what- and so on, I soon forgot a lot about Argentinean food. I know, it sounds weird, but that's what happened. Except when  I worked at an Argentinean restaurant for a few months; but still, I forgot the day to day meals my mom used to prepare.

So now that I am not working, I have time and I am trying to cut down the carbs, I made that list, and here are the first four meals I prepared.

Argetine lunch and dinner consist of the same type of meals: usually a piece of meat -beef, chicken, fish are most common- and a side, usually a salad, sometimes potatoes.

 First, steak and salad. I made the steak in the oven with a simple rub of olive oil and a costco blend. I don't have a stove grill yet. Salad consists of tomatoes, hard boiled eggs and olive oil and white wine vinegar. Oh, some oregano as well.


Second, steak and more salad. The steak was made in a stove non stick pan this time. The salad, pretty classic with a touch of California: lettuce, tomato, onions, avocado, salt, pepper, olive oil and white wine vinegar. 


Another classic: chicken milanesas (breaded chicken: mix 2 eggs with oregano and garlic salt in one plate and put bread crumbs in another plate. Dip chicken breast into the egg and then bread, place in oven pan with olive oil on the base). Mashed potatos and mashed butternut squash. I cut the squash in pieces, boil it and skin it. So good!

 Classic #3: Beek milanesas with fries (I did oven roasted). Buy a thin cut of beef (I can't remember what I bought but in Argentina we usually use veal). Do the same steps to bread it as with the chicken milanesas. Cut the potatos, sprinkle olive oil in an oven pan, put the potatoes, sprinkle more olive oil on top and some garlic salt). 


Hope you enjoy this classic and simple Argentina recipes!



No comments: