READING WITHOUT AN ACCENT BOOK REVIEW: FANGIRL BY RAINBOW ROWELL

First and foremost I wanted to let you all know I opened a Reading without an Accent Instagram account where I will be posting everything book and reading related. I might transition these post out of my general account, or I might tone down the post in case some people are not interested in them.




With that said, let's talk about Fangirl! I read this on a whim because it was at my local library. I tend to plan out what I am going to read to save me from wasting time and being disappointed but I had heard so many good things about this author and this book that I just grabbed it.
Let's just say I really wanted to hate this book. I had picked up Eleanor and Park a few weeks before and (don't hate) I couldn't pass up the first 50 pages for various reasons. I couldn't get what the hype was about but I'll admit maybe the good parts came later?

With Fangirl it was different, I did like it from the beginning, although it was a bit slow... I said, I'll get to the first 100 pages and decide. I was hooked then and finished it. It was long, but I didn't get too bored except on the fragments of the story within the story. They're basically 2-3 stories being told: Cath's, the main character, Simon Snow and Baz on the original writer's hand and on Cath's hands. Those parts bored me a bit but maybe because I never got into Harry Potter. Sue me.

I think the characters and believable and relateable. The story is a coming of age of a freshman college student who is challenged to discover the world by herself without the guidance and help of her identical twin sister. Said evil twin (not really) is hard to understand and you might resent her the whole book until the end. But this is the beauty of the characters in this book, they're complex, they're not goody goody perfect straight A students. It's a little bit hard in my opinion, to really get to know Cather outside her Fangirl condition.

Space: the location is somewhere in Nebraska, close to Omaha, where Cather and Wren are from. I think the college setting was described accurately and you felt like you could be in there with them. Cather's small room space, the college campus, and even her house are very well worded therefore transporting you into the story.

Time: present time, not many current references but enough to make it contemporary and relateable.

However, in the story I feel there's not much of a turning point for Cather as much as there is for her twin sister Wren. Cather doesn't change much in a certain way, only in the fact that she stops being so much of a hermit to start dating, but other than that, I feel, she's the same. She feels the same way about everything else in her life at the end of the book. Am I wrong? Do you differ?

I think that the one who suffers the biggest transformation is Wren.  SPOILER ALERT: She acts out at the beginning, and that's why we can't get her. Why is she being like that? Why does she cut Cath off her life? But then she starts seeing the person who abandoned them. Cath refuses, but doesn't react the way you'd think she'd react, which was weird. But then Wren hits rock bottom, Cath goes to her rescue and the one who changes is Wren, not Cath. And in the end, Wren wants to make things right with Cath and Cath kind of  moved on... in that she changed, she doesn't need Wren anymore but she acts a little to "over" her sister...

Overall it was an enjoyable read. Do I think it's a masterpiece? No, but it's a good summer read. I will give Eleanor and Park another chance- maybe next summer?


No comments: