READING WITHOUT AN ACCENT: HOW TO BE PARISIAN WHEREVER YOU ARE

"Aphorism: (...) No one should ever see your gums when you talk or laugh" Hmmm darn, I need to practice a new way to smile.


Title: How to be Parisian wherever you are. Love, style and bad habits by Anne Berest, Audrey Diwan, Caroline de Maigret and Sophie Mas.

This is such a fun and breezy read! It's fast to read and super entertaining! Four Parisian women got together to define the women in their city on paper and the result is a very witty and alive portrait.
A lot of the characteristics of the Parisian women are similar to the Argentine women or at least the women in my hometown Buenos Aires, maybe because BA is (or used to be) called the Latin American Paris. As a country that was formed by European immigrants we might have a lot of things in common after all, so reading this book put a smile on my face on many occasions if not throughout the whole read, because it hit close to home.

I would like to copy some of my favorite sections. Although I highly recommend you read it too!

I marked so many sections so I won't be able to write all of them (maybe I will…). My notations in bold.

“What you won't find in her closet.

* Three inch heels. Why live halfway?
*Logos. You are not a billboard.
*Nylon, polyester, viscose, and vinyl will make you sweaty, smelly, and shiny.
*Sweatpants. No man should ever see you in those. Except your gym teacher- and even then. Leggins are tolerated. (My note: but aren't leggins abused though?)
*Blingy jeans with embroidery and holes in them. They belong to Bollywood (maybe ripped jeans aren't in in France? I don't own a pair though)
*UGG boots. Enough said. (Especially with super short shorts right?)
*A skimpy top. Because you're not fifteen anymore.
*A fake designer bag. Like fake breast, you can't fix your insecurities through forgery.

Truth be told, if the Parisienne could wear just a Burberry trench and nothing underneath, she would be in heaven.”

Isn't this kind of spot on?


No comments: