DULCE BUENOS AIRES WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE FOR THANKSGIVING

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SweetenTheSeason #CollectiveBias



Thanksgiving is my favorite American Holiday. I should say, it has become my favorite Holiday. I also love Christmas, of course.

I think that if every nation would celebrate at least 1 day a year for being grateful for all we have, we would be better countries. As an Argentinian, I can attest that my home country needs more thankfulness (and more giving) instead of complaints and demands. Regardless of the outside situations that surround us, having a constant attitude of gratitude is something that becomes good for us.

I am all for tradition, I love the turkey, and the green bean casserole made by my sister in law Mikaela, the sweet potatoes with marshmallows my mother in law makes, the pies, the cobblers, everything Thanksgiving related. But I also like to spice it up a bit and bring a little bit of Argentininianess (invented a word) to the American customs.


I made this cake trying to replicate a recipe of one I had on my last trip to Buenos Aires. There's this gorgeous coffee place called "Dulce Buenos Aires" that is all decorated in shabby chic and they have these amazing sandwiches and pastries. This was one of my favorite cakes. It's a white chocolate mousse cake with a brownie base and a heart of dulce de leche, chocolate bits and coconut.

When I was researching how to make a white chocolate mousse, most recipes directed me to the brand Baker's for baking chocolate. I don't know if you know this, but Walmart has a baking center! How awesome is that! You can basically get anything you need to bake and cook each season at this baking center. It's usually toward the end of the store nearing the garden area (at least in my store) and it's an island by itself. I found the Baker's baking chocolate there, I got white and semi-sweet chocolate and also Baker's shredded coconut. I love how convenient and budget friendly Walmart makes it for us busy housewives and hard working women to be able to find everything we need with ease.




Ok, so onto the recipe:

For the white chocolate mousse, I used Gretchen's Bakery recipe:

Baker's Premium White Chocolate for Baking 1 ¼cup (215g)
Whole Milk ⅓ cup (80ml)
Unflavored Gelatin 2 teaspoons
Water ¼ cup (60ml)
Confectioners Sugar 2 Tablespoons (15g)
Heavy Cream 2 cups (475ml)

For the base:

1 box of brownie mix
Whatever the box says you need to make it, usually eggs, oil and water. Follow instructions on the box.
You'll use half of the mix so cut the other ingredients in half.

For the center:

1 can of dulce de leche
1/2 a bar of  Baker's white chocolate shredded or cubed in little pieces
1/2 a bar of Baker's semi-sweet chocolate shredded or cubed in little pieces
1/4 cup of Baker's shredded coconut

Prepare and bake the brownie mix (half of it), let cool. 
In the meantime, prepare the white chocolate mousse:

First bloom the gelatin by sprinkling it over the cold water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Once it has been bloomed, melt it gently in the microwave or in a small pot on the stove. DO NOT BOIL
Heat the milk to about 120°F (not necessary to use a thermometer you just want it to be hot so it doesn't seize the chocolate when we combine the two.)
Melt the white chocolate in a large mixing bowl and add the hot milk, whisk vigorously to a smooth paste.
Add the melted gelatin mixture and whisk smooth.
Whip the heavy cream with the confectioner's sugar to medium firm peaks.
Take about ⅓ of the whipped cream to lighten the chocolate mixture, then fold in gently the remaining cream.

Let cool for 1 hour or more.

Mix the dulce de leche with the Baker's chocolates and shredded coconut. 

Once the brownie base is cooled down, put a big ball of the dulce de leche in the middle. Then pour the white chocolate mousse all over the cake covering the dulce de leche heart and smooth the surface. You can add chocolate shreds if you'd like. Let cool overnight and enjoy!
The cake at the Baby Shower


I took this cake to a baby shower and everyone gobbled it down! If you'd like to find out more about the ingredients I used to make this delicious cake and other yummy recipes click here!



1 comment:

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

This looks delicious and lovely! [client]