AUNT NANCY'S WALDORF SALAD FOR THE HOLIDAYS

You're gonna have to excuse me, but I don't have a photo of this wonderful salad just yet. I made it for New Year's Eve and Christmas day and we devoured it so fast that I didn't have time to take a photo and after that, I went straight to work etc etc, excuses excuses. But believe me when I tell you that this salad is glorious, if you like the Waldorf salad type. My whole family loved it.



What you'll need:

3-4 celery stalks
4-5 green apples
1 cup of blue cheese
1 cup of sour cream
2/3 cup of mayonnaise
1 cup of walnuts
1 can of hearts of palm or more

Instructions:

Chop everything as small as you like it. Mix everything but only 1/2 the walnuts (you ca use more if you'd like) in a bowl and stir carefully, then add the remaining walnuts to decorate. Let cool. You can serve immediately or leave overnight and it honestly tastes better the next day.

I'll tell you a little story about this salad. This is my family's recipe, developed specifically by my grandmother and carried on by my Aunt Nancy. The thing is, no one really knows who started adding the blue cheese to the salad, and my aunt's ex husband used to argue with her at Christmas about the traditional Waldorf Salad recipe and how it didn't have blue cheese and Nancy kept saying it does. Every one in our family loves blue cheese so no one complained. I wanted to make this salad this Christmas because all of the Christmases and New Years I've spent in the US have been mostly with American food and even though I absolutely love it, I wanted to add a little bit of my culture to the mix. I hope you make it and you love it!


No comments: