RADICAL SELF-LOVE BOOK REVIEW



One of my Spring readings that were outside of the Spring reading list I put together (and barely touched), was this book called Radical Self-Love. It was recommended by a fellow blogger on her post "5 reads for self confidence". I read two boos from her list, this one, and #girlboss.







I wanted to give a short review of what I thought of Radical Self-Love by Gala Darling. In summary, I don't think she offers a lot of new concepts to restore one's self-esteem. She retells her experience overcoming bulimia and self-loathing through a few non-orthodox methods and a series of tips on how to re create your own persona.

Some of this tips were useful for me but I found a few of the chapters lacking practical ways to out the theory into practice.

For example, the first section is Loving yourself, divided into two chapters: Learning to love yourself and happiness within. Here Darling talks about certain methods to start loving yourself like going on a date alone with yourself, medication and tapping. She explains a little bit about this tapping concept, which is pretty much tapping areas of your body while meditating on an illness you have and it's supposed to take it away. She says that she overcame bulimia after she tapped her disorder away looking at her reflection in the bathroom mirror. I am sorry, call me skeptical but I think it takes a lot more than that to overcome an eating disorder. But I've never tried tapping (nor I think I will) so I can't refuse it 100%. I think the author takes a big risk advising her readers to try tapping as a way to solve self-esteem problems. I think, like I said, that no everyone will be able to tap their depression, anxiety or other serious problems away.

Another big aspect of this book is that the preaches about manifesting your ideal persona, meaning choosing a person you want to be and channeling their inner self. Let's say I want to be an actress or I like the way a certain actress carries herself, I can channel her persona and act like her. I think that is a good exersice for self-esteem but at the end of the day, isn't that pretending to be someone you're not?She says you can be whoever you want, really, but I don't think that's entirely true: I can't be a classical ballerina. I can't be a singer, because I don't have the voice. She says "manifesting" is desiring, acting like the person you want to be and you'll become the person you want to be, but she gives no practical advice on how to get there, and I think it's because she can't really give any advice on that. She became another person by changing her name, overcoming bulimia (which incidentally left her with a killing body she flaunts a lot on her website) and choosing an eccentric wardrobe. Then she went on to create her webiste and sell her journey as an online course. But again, she can't tell you how to become any other person that's not her, because that would take hard work, not just "manifesting".

For me to become the woman I want to be, I need to do a lot of work, not just say: I manifest I am a good mother and wife, I have to work at it.

There are other sections of the book that were useful, like relationship advice, could be helpful. Some of the tips were useful for me but I think a lot of the rest is common sense. I think that is an easy and enjoyable read but it might not change your life in a radical way.

I personally think that these books can help others start loving themselves and get out of a situation of self loathing and destruction but ultimately God is the one who truly loves us and without His love we can't really love ourselves. For me, the ultimate book to learn about radical love and radical self-love is the Bible.

No comments: