=

Netflix shows to binge watch right now - Hulu and prime too



Lately Netflix has been slaying it with their original shows and I have been binging as much as I can. My watching tv time is normally at bedtime but I managed to watch all these shows I am going to list below. I will also throw a few shows on Hulu and Amazon Prime as well!

I will list these in no particular order and while some might be older or already released, most have been released recently.
Photo credit.

Netflix shows to binge-watch right now

You - First and second season


This show is so good! It's based on the "You" novel and sequel "Hidden Bodies" by Caroline Kepnes. It's definitely a must read duology. The first book is gripping and just amazing (sorry for my lack of creativr adjectives). It is told from the perspective of Joe, a bookstore seller, and the show stays faithful to that. The first book is admittedly more entertaining than the second, and you won't see this often, but the second season of "You" surpassed the plot of the second book!

Witcher



The Witcher is a fantasy series produced by Lauren Schmidt Hissrich. It is based on the book series of the same name by Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski. I know a lot of people hate the fact that this series has been compared to Game of Thrones. It's different, of course, but it has a similar vibe as far as the time it's based on. It's a medieval like times and as soon as I watched it I thought, Game of Thrones meets Lord of the Rings. There are male witches, supposedly women can't be witches, but later we do meet some female witches. There are kings, princesses under curses, dragons, and a lot of magic. It's filmed excellent, the actors are amazing (queue in the hot Superman actor Henry Cavill).

Spinning Out


I will confess I would probably watch anything with Kaya Scodelario in it, so when I saw a drama about figure ice skating with her starring in it, I went for it. This is such a great production of artistic sport, family issues like mental health and love. It's the perfect combo.

Dirty John


Dirty John is based on the real life event made into a podcast of Debra Newel who married the dirty con John Meehan. It was produced by Bravo and it recently made it to Netflix so if you didn't watch it before now it's your chance. It stars Connie Britton (Nashville), Eric Bana (Troy) and Juno Temple (so many amazing works I can't even start).

Messiah

Oh, I did't like that the title of this show was Messiah, but since it was about a CIA agent chasing a guy who called himself the Messiah I thought it was worth the watch. We binged 6 episodes with my parents on Jan 1st and then we finished the rest. It's well made (as everything from Netflix lately it seems), interesting and binge-worthy.

The Sinner

You should know I LOVE true crime, thrillers, police and mystery shows. So again, hated the title of this show, took me some time to decide to watch it but Season 1 was AMAZING! I loved Jessica Biel's performance, it was completely unexpected for me for her to be such a good actress! I also already liked the detective playing in it, Bill Pullman, from my favorite childhood movie Newsies,

He comes back for a double murder to solve, which I also hesitated to watch because it involved a kid, but the season was well worth it. Now it's coming back with Matt Bomer (Blue Collar) and I cannot wait!

Unbelievable

Another show I hesitated to watch was Unbelievable. Eve though it was about 2 detectives investigating, but the crimes were rape and I knew it would trigger me. After some thought I decided to start it and I would stop it if it was too much. There's little depiction of sexual assault, but no graphic scenes either. It's a masterful work with Merritt Wever and Toni Collete and those two ladies were amazing. A first for me watching Kaitlyn Dever and she was so talented.

Dead to me

Ok, now on to some comedy. Dead to me is a black comedy about a lady who losses her husband in a hit and run (Christina Applegate) who meets a peculiar woman (Linda Cardellini) during one of her grieve group sessions. Thinking about this makes me want to watch it again! A very good portrait of Orange County society, funny but less gory than The Santa Clarita Diet.


Hulu shows to binge watch (this list won't be complete)


Reprisal

This show is described as "A woman sets out for revenge against the gang that tried to kill her." And that sold me from the first time I watched the teaser. It's supposed to be based in the 50's based on the clothing, the stetting and all but all of the sudden they pull out flip phones, so verisimilitude
goes out the window. There's nothing I love more to watch than a person setting out for their own revenge, so being that this is a woman that was left for dead, I had to watch it. 


Good Trouble

Good Trouble is the sequel to to The Fosters, a tv show I hadn't watched before. It looked good, it's produced by two of the actresses staring in it, and even though I wasn't familiar at all with their back stories or characters it's really easy to follow and fall into it. Callie and Mariana from The Fosters move to LA to fulfill their dream jobs positions and find themselves in a community of people living in the same building. The show is filmed so well, with a gorgeous artistic eye and photography. I fell in love with the plot and the characters right away and I think you will too.

Amazon Prime

The Boys

One show I've watched recently on Amazon Prime and that I was looking forward to it was The Boys, about super heroes that abuse their powers and get corrupt and a gang of vigilantes that want to put them in their place.

Based on these recommendations, what shows do you recommend me to watch? 

Have you watched any of these? What did you think?

No comments: